Friday 27 September 2013

Project 9 - Reflective Commentary

I think I did manage to gather a big enough selection of yarns and materials to experiment with during this project.  Unlike the last one I never felt that I was restricted by not having the exact right colour I was looking for.  I was most drawn to natural fibres, as always, which I think add a lovely feel to any piece, they also add a solidity texture wise that I enjoy.

I expected to be frustrated by the relative slowness of weaving techniques but actually I revelled in it, until I started messing about with strung  beads.  I suspect that this has something to do with the loom I was using having a heddle, and that was just down to good fortune!

Apart from the problems I've already mentioned I am genuinely really pleased with my final sample.  I struggled with the pattern as I've already mentioned, I find it far easier to work from the internal pattern in my brain than I do sticking to a paper pattern.  This was as far as I am concerned the only part of the design process that just doesn't work for me.

I do enjoy putting things together more intuitively rather than working from a source, mainly, i think because when I use a source I fall back into the trap of trying to match things exactly, finding the perfect shade.  I find it a lot easier and preferable to choose yarns that I think will work together and then deciding what to do with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment