Friday 27 September 2013

Project 8 - Stage 1 - Exploring the Qualities of Yarns

Over the course of this assignment my learning curve has been, yet again, enormous.My knowledge of yarns before embarking on this project was based solely on how they looked, if they were the right colour and thickness for whatever I was knitting I didn't stop to think too much  more about it.  My preference was for pure wool but in the case of yarn I have been swayed more by the price and more often than not have ended up with acrylic.  In my reading for this project, and the gathering of materials I have learned so much.  My leanings are still towards more natural fibres but I can see that there is an important place for blends and recycling man made fibres.
I have enjoyed very much experimenting with things I would never previously have thought of as being fibres, things like paper twine and raffia and also the wonderful selection of natural twines I found to be available, things like jute, hemp and sisal.

No comments:

Post a Comment