Friday 27 September 2013

Project 8 - Stage 2 - Exercise 1 - Experimenting With Yarns

In the introduction to this stage it is mentioned that you should try not to think of any practical uses for these samples.  This turned out to be incredibly difficult for me to do.  I spent a lot of time thinking 'what is this for?' and believing that braiding and these woven paper structures were all a bit pointless.  In retrospect I wish that I could've got over that feeling a bit sooner as I ended up treating braiding as a hill to get over before I could start on the real fun part which to me was the weaving.  Looking back I think I see better that braiding is an excellent introduction to weaving and a bridge between stages in the same way as making the yarn windings was.

Exercise 1

I began by trying out the woven paper technique by using some old discarded drawings of my childrens' because there is a plentiful supply of them floating about my house.  Using this fairly stable and robust drawing paper was a nice easy start and inspired me to seek out some differently textured papers to experiment with.  I went on to try out crunchy tracing paper, brown parcel paper, soft kitchen paper, hard plastic and some vegetable netting.

No comments:

Post a Comment