Wednesday 18 September 2013

Assignment 3 Reflections

I have very much enjoyed this part of the course.  It was such an enormous relief to be finished with Assignment 2, which made me feel, for quite a long time, that I should just give up.  This project though restored my faith and I really loved doing it.  I also suddenly felt like I was getting to grips with working in my sketchbook in a more textiles focused way.

Another badly timed trip to France has meant that at times I have had to rush parts of the project, for example I would really have liked to have had time to work more with stitch in my applique.

I've been thinking about my themebook almost continually for the last few months.  My problem is never that I can't think of an idea, but always that I have too many of them.  I thought for  along time that i would choose something from the natural world and thought about beetles, caterpillars, bees, animal nests and coral reefs before I decided that the  natural world had been done to death.  Then I decided that I might use a book as my inspiration, but I have at least 20 favourite, favourite books on any given day and so I just couldn't settle on that either.  Then I thought I would use a place, as I hadn't seen anybody else doing that for their themebook and so I decided on New Orleans as somewhere I know quite well and is full of a huge amount of inspiration.  After I'd avoided starting it for quite a long time I realised that I just wasn't connecting to the topic at all and so my final, final decision is Cryptogams, which at first I thought meant crosswords, but turned out to mean all those plants that don't produce by seeding, things like ferns, lichens and fungi.
http://www.pinterest.com/luxetoile/themebook-the-third/

No comments:

Post a Comment