Friday 27 September 2013

Project 8 - Reflective Commentary

I enjoyed, very much creating these constructed surfaces once I had gotten past the initial braiding stages.  I loved starting of with a line and ending up with a surface, it's like magic and I can't wait to get into the weaving stage and take this idea further.

For me, the samples that worked best were the ones that created some movement, and were interesting to the eye.  The grids made from copper and jute are the most interesting to me because of this.  I also think working in a simpler more straightforward material emphasises the shapes of the grid work, when  bigger, brighter yarns were incorporated the pleasing simplicity of a grid was somewhat lost.

In the colour  matching exercise I think I managed to be pretty accurate with paint and drawing media and as accurate as it was possible for me to be when it came to matching the yarns.  Since the last project I feel I've managed to rationalize that it's not always possible to match a yarn or a fabric exactly and that making sure the ones you have are working together is just as important as matching them to the original image.

No comments:

Post a Comment