Wednesday 15 February 2012

Project 2 Developing Your Marks - Stage 5

Stitches To Create Texture

I practiced lots of different stitches on scraps before I began to make my stitched samples for this section, I also read 'Stitches: New Approaches' by Jan Beaney very thoroughly to try and help me explore the stitches capabilities a bit more.  When I was feeling brave I started putting together a sampler of sorts.
 I used different thicknesses of thread to create different versions of chain stitch, running stitch, cretan stitch and satin stitch.  I paticularly like the effect that can be achieved from using a very thin thread to create a stitch on top of an exisiting one in a very thick thread.
In the second part of this stage, where I was required to use my stitches to echo the patterns from one of my drawings, I chose this quick sketch of a passion flower from my Mum's garden in the South of France.  The original drawing had very faint outside petals and I decided to use a very delicate one strand of embroidery floss to create tiny cross stitches to try and capture that fragility, for the stamens in the middle I used my new found bullion stitch which i think worked pretty and well and the rest of it was just made with different thicknesses and lengths of straight stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment