Monday 13 February 2012

Project 1 Making Marks - Stage 3 , Exercise 1, Part 1


 For this stage I had to choose paintings or images to try and recreate the texture from.  The first picture that I chose was a beautiful painting that I came across in an old issue of The Artist magazine that I found stuffed under the pram.  The painter is called Bohuslav Barlow but I've not been able to find out anything else about the painting that I chose, anything I've come across online connected to him seems to be completely different in style to these paintings. You really can't see it well from this terrible photo but it was the  area in the top left corner of it that I was working from.
 I was trying to step outside my comfort zone a bit here and create something very tight and structured and controlled very quickly with Copic Markers.  Not entirely sure that I like it at all.
 This one was created with rough scribbles of wax crayons and a quick wash of ultramarine ink.
 I used watercolour pencils and aqua crayons for this one, put on completely dry and then water added very carefully to try and blend them a bit without losing the shapes completely.
For this one I went right back into that comfort zone and started dripping very wet paint onto very wet paper.  To try something different I decided to use a white gouache with it and was amazed when it seemed to be repelling the very wet watercolour, almost like salt would.  I've tried it again, with red gouache this time and it didn't work at all, so perhaps it's only white that behaves like this or perhaps it was just a fluke or perhaps the children had been sprinkling salt into my paint!

Finally is a collaged attempt, it's not really what I set out to create at all, my plan was to have very regular 'bricks' in layers but the combination of PVA, a slightly wet ink background and really cheap tissue paper seemed to make them all melt into each other.  You can't see it this photo but the vast amount of PVA that I chucked on has given it a really lovely shiny surface and I think I quite like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment