Monday 13 February 2012

Project 1 Making Marks - Stage 4 , Part 2

 I drew this snake in my skethbook in an attempt to take a faster, looser approach to drawing.

 I made several different studies, using Copic markers to draw scale shapes, drawing the pattern in pale blue wax crayon and washing over with green ink.  The rest of the examples were made on a gesso base.  They were all made by pressing a green net fruit bag into the wet Gesso and then I removed it at different stages. I took one small piece off when the gesso was still very wet and it left very little imprint at all, I still used it to create the tint yellow and green sample in the middle, painting over it and then dropping green paint onto the wet surface.  The two bottom right samples had the net left in the Gesso until they were much drier, once I'd removed the net, it was still runny enough to flow a little and settle down into smooth scaly shapes. I rubbed over the rough parts with a blue wax crayon and then painted them.  The other two samples were left to dry completely and have very straight edged troughs, I coloured them with Copic marker.  The final, large example had the green bag left in it and I think this is very successful at capturing the texture of the snake.

Along with the moss textures, this is up there in favourite land and I think there are lots of ways I could explore the gesso technique further.

No comments:

Post a Comment