Monday 13 February 2012

Project 1 Making Marks - Stage 3 , Exercise 2, Part 2

For my second object I chose an old dried out crab shell that has been sitting on a shelf in my kitchen since last May Bank Holiday, when I had the brilliant idea that we should take the children to the beach and the four of us spent the most miserable day shivering and damp in Rhyll, most of our beach trips end this way.

I adore the fabulous texture of the barnacles and the remnants of sand and I don't think that I managed to capture that very well at all.  I think I focused too much on the actual barnacles and forgot about all the wonderful roughness.

This strangely coloured sample shows my attempt at making a more 3D effect, it involved mushing up kitchen paper and water and PVA and then trying to sculpt it into barnacle-y rings.  While I'm not convinced it's done a great job here I think it could be a useful technique at some other point.

Next I went back to old favourite, watercolour, some salt, some water. It's a bit bleh...

On the left I did some printing with a cork, I like the shape that the cork left in the thick acrylic, creating a ring like image and texture when dry, and on the right is some white wax crayon and a watercolour wash.

I feel that perhaps they're just lacking a certain something and I'm starting to think that I really need to have a lot of colour to fire me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment