Wednesday 29 February 2012

Project 3 Colour - Stage 6 , Exercise 2 continued

 So just when you think you're nearly finished Stage 6 goes and slips something else into the last tiny paragraph - 'Look at your drawings and sketchbook work for a drawing with pastel colours to develop in terms of image making.'  I had been so disillusioned by French Knots already, that the thought of doing more kind of made me shudder, I went off and played with the machine embroidery exercise for a bit, but not in any seriousness.  Having done that I felt refreshed enough to tackle the final part, and I had this image that I made back in Project 1 as part of a texture study of a mossy paving stone and although it's not exactly pastel colours I decided that it was close enough and pretty perfect for translating into French Knots.
 4 days and about a thousand knots later! No, really, a thousand.
I do have a tendency to just leap into things without thinking through exactly how much work they're going to take, and I think that was the case here, I never intended to create something so work intensive at this point, it's about 3 and a half inches square(ish).  I definitely got over my hatred of French Knots and became quite obsessive about them, trying to stick them in wherever I saw the tiniest little gap with fabric showing through.  I'm really pleased with it though, I think the effort was really worth it, and I'm very happy with the end result.

2 comments:

  1. Lucie, I'm really enjoying following your blog. I like to see how other students got on with the project I'm doing and the layout of yours with posts by project and stage make it really easy to navigate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your lovely learning blog via the student website.
    Yours is very attractive to look at, and hey look, if only I'd read this page before I started my excessively large and complicated french knot sampler!
    Artemesia
    www.mytextileworld.blogspot.uk

    ReplyDelete