Monday 20 February 2012

Project 3 Colour - Stage 5 Coloured Stitches

This one was a repeat of Project 2, Stage 2 but this time experimenting with mixing primary colours in different ways.


I think it was most likely finsihed after I'd done all the bits with embroidery floss, but my edit button wasn't working and I felt the need to cover  all the black fabric with running stitch and tiny cross stitches.  I love the way the colours seem to merge together in the satin stith and the stripes of yellow with red between them but the part I like the best is the effect that has happened  with the layers of different sized and different textures and different colours of cross stitching.  I also had one of those revelatory moments that was probably dead obvious but has only just come to me, because I realised that with stitching I'm not just creating a visual texture but also a physical one, I love the way that this patch of cross stitches feels and the way it makes the fabric feel thicker and more robust.  I'm pretty sure I should've known that, but it was like a discovery to me.  I think I could've improved it if I'd had a better red thread, I think a natural cotton thread would've shown up much better than this one which is a metallic, also that tiny row of red backstitch near the top doesn't follow the circle properly, because the circle wasn't there when I did it, and it's niggling at me.  One other issue was that I was wearing a thick, fluffy oatmeal coloured cardigan and that was bad in combination with the black fabric, it kept shedding little bits all over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment