Tuesday 14 February 2012

Project 2 Developing Your Marks - Stage 2

Exploring Marks and Lines Through Stitch Techniques

There were a good deal of practice samples that I was so disgusted by that I've hidden them away at the back of my wardrobe.  Reading through the course literature helped me a bit and I used some books to help me figure the stitches out, I find those diagrams really difficult to follow though, at one point I had to get my exceedingly practical other half to explain Cretan stitch to me!

Eventually though I managed to produce this -


I know it's not brilliant but it was a huge leap forward for me and it helped me to go on to produce this -


My family are quite insistent that it's a map :)

Things that I really enjoyed about stitching this were couching and seed stitch which i think is really effective over a large area, particularly in the metallic thread, although that turned out to be a pain the bottom to stitch with!  I know it's not very exciting but the thing I love the most is running stitch worked in a normal sewing thread.  I think it is really nice worked on top of everything else, it has a consolidating effect that I enjoy.

I struggled a bit with the more deorative stitches, although perhaps just because I'm not terribly familiar with them, the only one I really knew was Blanket stitch, having spent most of my evenings in December sewing an entire shopful of felt food together with it for tiny boy's Christmas present.  I quite enjoyed Satin stitch but I should've gone for a thicker thread, satin Stitch in single strand cotton is a bit soul destroying.

No comments:

Post a Comment