Monday 13 February 2012

Project 1 Making Marks - Stage 3 , Exercise 2, Part 1




Hmmm, the colours are absolutely shocking in these photo's,  there is definitely a lot more green in the real version.  This is a texture study of a mossy slab outside our house.  This one in fact -

  I tried lots of different methods to recreate the wonderful slimy textures off of this stone.  In the first I created a surface from kitchen paper, bonded to watercolour paper with gesso and pushed into an interesting shape, i also dotted some acrylic texture gel here and there to get some of the roughness in, then I dabbed it with various water based media to try and capture all the different greens.

The next was a very quick and simple sample to create but I think it's quite effective, it's just green and yellow watercolour inks sprinkled with salt and some bleach, my favourite:)

The last one was created with all the different shades of green that I could find in my Copic Marker box and just stippling them ( I had been looking at Seurat paintings that day!)

I also made a sample from layers of oil pastels but I don't seem to have a close up of that one! 

I think out of all of the texture studies for Stage 3 this set is my favourite, along with the snake which is still to come, I think I managed to create quite radicaly different interpretations of the same idea and i'm pretty pleased with all of them which is a tad unusual for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment