Sunday 13 November 2011

Project 1 Making Marks: Stage 2 - Exercise 3

 coloured pencils,
charcoal, conte pencils

 watercolour pencils (which turned out to be normal pencils so really it
should be coloured pencil with watercolour pencil over the top!),
Aquarelle crayons
 Derwent Aqua Tones,
Oil Pastels
 Soft pastels,
Caran D'Ache
 Watercolours
 Copic Markers, 
Staedler Fineliners
 soft, sharp, hard
smooth, slow, busy
 fresh, magic, old,
sad, lively, new
 sad, happy, fast,
sensuous, bumpy, delicate
fast, sharp,
delicate, soft,
sad, bumpy,
smooth, sensuous

Well, I think it's probably quite apparent how much I enjoyed this exercise, I found it quite hard to stop, in the end I ran out of paper!

I enjoyed some mediums more than others, watercolours are my first true love, i adore the textures you can achieve with them, especially wet on wet, I could've sat and played with them all day.  The pens - Copic markers and Staedler fineliners- are so easy to use, I like the amount of control that I have over them and the huge amount of different results that can be produced.
I've had this preconcieved idea for many years that I dislike pastels, both soft and oil, maybe because I've found them hard to control, but this exercise really showed them to me in a new light and I enjoyed the looseness and the thickness and the real depth of colour that they impart.
Aquarelle crayons were also a revelation to me, for some strange reason it had never occurred to me to try adding water to them, but actually taking the time to read the box opened up a whole new crayoning experience to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment