Tuesday 15 November 2011

Project 1 Making Marks : Stage 2 - Exercise 4 Bleaching


I suspect that it's going to be pretty obvious in a minute just how much I enjoyed this, but let me just say now, I absolutely love bleaching!!!!!!
I am pretty surprised by this, as are my family, because I don't even use the stuff to clean with, I'm pretty anti chemical and pro environment and for years I've used mainly baking soda, vinegar and lemon juice to clean our house with.  I decided that I wanted to give it a go anyway on a bit of a whim when I saw a bottle of bleach on sale for 30p and I am really glad that I did.  I do have a slight amount of guilt but I'm managing to rationalise it by  telling myself that I'm using such a tiny amount and it is watered down already and I'm sure it pales into insignificance compared to what many people pour down their toilets every day, and then to make myself feel even better I put the leftovers in a jar and put it in the bin, although now I'm picturing it sitting in a landfill for the next bazillion years so it's not making me feel better at all!
But.......it just gives such beautiful results!

 watercolour ink and bleach
 watercolour ink and salt and bleach on envelope
 bleach on tissue paper
 watercolour ink and bleach
 envelope inside with watercolour ink and salt and bleach and lemon
 watercolour ink and bleach on tracing paper
 Caran d'Ache and Aquarelle and bleach
 Copic Marker and bleach
 watercolour ink and bleach
 watercolour ink and bleach
 teabag paper, watercolour ink, salt and bleach
(my favourite) watercolour ink and salt and guess what?
 Yup! Thats bleach!
 and that one
 and finally yet another self indulgent close up :)

Bleach? Who'd of thought it could be so pretty?

8 comments:

  1. Love these too ... wish I'd seen your samples before I done mine! I'm just about to experiment with bleach and stuff in the printing interlude - very excited now.

    p.s. I've added your bloglink to the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/OCAtextiles - you should really join it and add some images there too, as I think your samples are much more inspirational than the examples in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful effects, just makes me want to go and do more mark making but I have started stitching and I really wanted to do that too - too much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for your kind comments, it's really helpful to hear from others, it didn't really occur to me that distance learning would feel like working blind most of the time! I hope it's going well for both of you, sorry for the late reply but I have been skiving off! Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Jenny, so kind of you you to say, looking at them again makes me want to make some more:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried it and simply nothing happened. I repeat, NOTHING happened! What did I do wrong? Used the aquarelle on paper I waited to dry because I wanted clear shapes to white out and nothing happened. Even simple water was better than bleach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I used the bleach after it dried but nothing. NOTHING. I had better results even with simple water...

    ReplyDelete