Thursday 8 March 2012

Project 4 Developing Design Ideas - Stage 2, Exercise 1


For this stage I decided I'd keep working with the image of the embroidered Afghan cloth from Sheils Paines book Embroidered Textiles : Traditional Patterns from Five Continents.  I made a colour copy this time, which got rid of the silly ink lines, and gave me more scope for exploration too. I decided to focus on a patch from the top centre of the picture using the top of the spirally sun shape that I really like and the thing my children say is a giant sweetie.
 For the first drawing I used a simple pencil sketch to explore the textures in the piece, as the cloth is embroidered with mainly straight stitch from what I can see, this involved lots of short lines.
For the second drawing exploring colour in the piece I decided to use coloured pencils, after my previous failure with them I was determined to try and get some really saturated colour out of them.  Using them on the smooth paper from my sketchbook helped me to get decent coverage on to the paper.  I built up the colours I wanted using layers of different shades and on the whole this seemed to be pretty successful.  My main problem was achieving the lilac-y gray of the sun shape, it's a colour that doesn't seem to be included in any of the colouring media that I possess so I treid to layer greys and purples and pinks and white but I'm not convinced it worked very well.
In the third drawing where I had to focus on shapes I decided to work in collage, because I haven't tried it very often and I thought this'd be a good opportunity.  I raided the childrens make and do box and found some lovely sugar paper in lots of bright colours.  I tried to focus on the shapes, simplifying it a bit and trying not to get bogged down in details.  Again it was completely impossible to match that wierd lilacy grey so I stuck with pink, I like pink.  I've just realised that my sun shape has gotten looser and looser with each progressive drawing, oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment