Monday 2 July 2012

Awesomeness and Project 6 Reflections


SUPAKITCH & KORALIE - VÄRLDSKULTUR MUSEET GÖTEBORG from elr°y on Vimeo.


I've really enjoyed this way of working with fabric.  I find it hard to compare it to working with stitch because they seem to be one thing to me rather than an either or.  I do enjoy this way of manipulating fabric directly because it achieves such immediate results and for someone as impatient as me that is always going to be a good thing.

The shapes and movement created with these techniques of manipulating fabric in different ways were really interesting to me.  Applique gives so much control whereas the other methods of manipulation were far less predictable to me.  Perhaps that comes with practise though, I'd like to be able to take some time and go back through the book trying out all of the manipulations it mentions.

I like the way that my pieces work in relation to the drawings that inspired them for the most part, but I think that the techniques you choose to employ in any given piece give it a whole new feel and takes it beyond any result that can be achieved using two dimensional techniques.

In the applique exercises I liked working with my drawings and found them to be a good leaping off point, but when it came to trying to recreate a picture I found it a bit frustrating, perhaps I was restricting myself to much, trying to recreate things exactly as I saw them instead of interpreting them in a new way.

I feel incredibly positive and excited working in this area.  Its such a huge area, full of possibility and potential to create in so many different ways.  I can't wait to pursue it in more depth and far from feeling restricted by its boundaries I feel like the opportunities are boundless.

No comments:

Post a Comment